- 1 What is Cutera Laser Vein Therapy?
- 2 How Does Vein Therapy Work?
- 3 The Cutera Laser Difference
- 4 Before and After Photos
- 5 What Types of Veins Can Be Treated?
- 6 Cutera Laser Vein Therapy vs Sclerotherapy
- 7 Ideal Candidates
- 8 Preparing for Treatment
- 9 Procedure
- 10 Recovery
- 11 Results
- 12 How Many Treatments Will I Need?
- 13 Your Consultation
- 14 Price
What is Cutera Laser Vein Therapy?
Now men and women alike are making unsightly facial and leg veins a thing of the past, thanks to Cutera Laser. No more painful injections! With the most advanced technology, a unique design, and a longer wavelength, the Cutera Laser can safely and effectively treat both tiny superficial face veins and deeper blue leg veins on men and women of all skin tones.
How Does Vein Therapy Work?
The Cutera Laser delivers pulses of light energy which cause the blood within the vein to coagulate, eventually destroying the vessel which is later reabsorbed by your body. Blood flow will then be redirected to veins deeper below your skin’s surface, where it should be.
The Cutera Laser Difference
The Cutera Laser combines the ideal laser wavelength with the most flexible parameters to deliver a superior vascular laser system. It treats a broad range of vessels from tiny spider veins to deep blue reticular veins quickly, safely, and effectively. Patients with dark, light or tanned skin can experience outstanding results.
Before and After Photos
What Types of Veins Can Be Treated?
A careful evaluation with your physician will help you determine which vessels can be treated and the best course of treatment.
The Cutera Laser can remove unsightly veins from all parts of the body. Small, facial veins (or “telangiectasia”) can be treated quickly without bruising or complication. Spider veins and large blue leg veins can also be treated with excellent results, as well as hemangiomas and port wine stains. Knotty varicose veins are not good candidates. However, we also offer in-office VNUS Closure and other minimally invasive treatments for varicose veins.
Blood blisters or “hemangiomas” respond very well to Cutera Laser treatment, usually with just one session. Patients with port wine stains and other vascular lesions who had given up on finding a solution have been overwhelmed by the success of their Cutera Laser vascular treatments. Consult your physician for a thorough evaluation.
Cutera Laser Vein Therapy vs Sclerotherapy
Your doctor will advise you on the best course of action, but many physicians and patients prefer Cutera Laser Vein Therapy because there are no painful injections.
The Cutera Laser features a unique design and long wavelength that allows treatment of patients of all skin tones. Your physician will advise you if Cutera Laser Vein Therapy is right for you.
Preparing for Treatment
- Do not wear makeup on the day of treatment
- No sun-tanning or self-tanners 4 weeks prior to treatment
- Includes spray tans, tanning lotions, tanning beds, sun exposure, etc.
- Some medications or supplements may increase the risk bruising. Consult with your physician
- Avoid treatments that may irritate the skin for 1-2 weeks prior to treatment (waxing, depilatories, etc.)
- Notify clinic with any changes to your health history or medications since your last appointment
- History of herpes or cold sores may require an anti-viral prescription prior to treatment
Most patients experience a stinging sensation as the pulses of energy are delivered through the hand piece. Although no local anesthesia or pain medication is typically required, in some cases a topical anesthetic is applied prior to treatment. Following the treatment, the pain is minimal to nonexistent.
Following your treatment, some redness or bruising may occur. When larger veins are treated, a tan or brownish pigment may persist for a few weeks or months following treatment. Patients who have leg vein treatments may be advised to wear support hose for a short period of time.
Although many patients report few if any side effects, those most commonly noticed are slight reddening and local swelling of the skin. These effects typically last for less than 24 hours. Some patients may experience bruising and, in rare instances, blistering may occur. Consult with your medical professional for complete information about the benefits and risks of treatment.
Other things to keep in mind during recovery include:
- Avoid sun exposure and use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen to prevent further sun damage
- Bruising, redness and swelling are common and resolve with time
- A “bug bite look” is common and usually resolves in 1-2 days
- Avoid heat – hot tubs, saunas, etc. for 1-2 days
- Avoid skin irritants (examples below) a few days post-treatment
- Products containing tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids, astringents, etc.
- Notify clinic of any concerns (blistering, excessive redness/swelling, etc.)
- Leg vein treatments only
- Compression stockings (20-30 mm/hg) are optional
- Avoid high impact activity 3-5 days
- Hemosiderin staining (brown staining) may occur after a treatment and usually resolves with time (can take 1-2 years) but, on a rare occasion, it may be permanent
- Strict avoidance of sun exposure may decrease risk of permanent hemosiderin staining
- Large leg veins may take many months to resolve and should not be re-treated before then
- Consult with clinic about when to resume skin care regime
Most patients find that the majority of the treated veins have shown significant improvement within two to six weeks of treatment. However, your final results may not be apparent for several months. Over time, it is possible for new veins to appear, but these too can be removed with the Cutera Laser.
How Many Treatments Will I Need?
Often, patients find that one or two treatments are sufficient. However, the number of treatments necessary depends on the number, color, and size of the vessels being treated. Since individual results vary, ask your medical professional about your specific condition.
During your initial consultation, our aestheticians, will review your medical history, examine your skin and discuss your specific concerns. They will then work with you to develop a customized treatment plan to help you achieve your goals, using Cutera Laser Vein Therapy and potentially other treatment options available in our office. Treatment plans are reviewed by Dr. Hayes, who is available for further consultation if needed.
The price for Cutera Laser Vein Therapy varies depending on your areas of concern, the number of sessions needed and your ultimate goals. Your provider and you will work together to create a customized treatment plan that’s tailored to your body, your goals and your budget.